A TED Talk A Day, Day 43: gsgr
- The great and inspiring leaders and organisation all communicate in the same way. And it is the opposite of how most people do it.
- Most people and organisation know what they do. Some know how they do it. Few know why they do it.
- By why we we mean the purpose/cause, not the the result (e.g. making profit). Why does the organisation exist?
- “People don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it.” This explains why most people are comfortable buying a whole range of different products from Apple, even if their competitors are equally qualified to make similar products.
- “The goal is not to do business who need what you have; the goals it to do business with people who believe what you believe.”
- The Golden Circle corresponds to our biology — the human brain. Along the outer regions of the brain we have the neocortex, the “rational” part of the brain. The middle sections represent our limbic brain — which are responsible for our feelings, behaviour, and decision-making.
- When we speak from the inside out, we engage the limbic brain first, then allow the analytical parts of the brain to rationalise it. This is where “gut-level” decision-making comes from.
- “The goals it not to hire people who need a job; the goal is to hire people who believe what you believe.”
- Attracting people who believe what you believe is crucial when we consider the theory of the diffusion of innovations. To get to the “tipping” point of 16% adoption rate, where we move from the “early adopters” to start of adoption by the “majority”.
- The key is that early adopters are driven to make gut decisions based on what they believe about the world. The majority only adopt because someone else has already adopted something.
- The reason why early adopters are early adopters is because they want to be first; they want to buy something that proves what they believe. What you do simply proves what you believe.
- People will follow those who lead for themselves, not for leaders. Leaders who lead with why merely express what people already believe.
Suggested action step: I will focus more on the Why, in all things.