Sometimes we forget what we know is good and true, and instead fall into the trap of habit. So sometimes we need reminding.
I did this exercise for day 64 of Claudia Altucher’s Become an Idea Machine (which called for only 10 things!), and realised this was not a list to my younger self; it’s really a list to myself right now, so I wanted to keep it handy.
15 things I wish I knew when I was 25
- Brush it off. Yes, things didn’t work out the way you wanted. Now get up, decide what the fuck you want to do next, and go do it.
- Stop expecting people to be perfect. Including yourself.
- Stop wasting time on what doesn’t matter.
- Stop waiting for things to fall in place.
- Take care of your body. It will take time, so start learning now.
- Keep in touch with your friends.
- Have random fun. It will make you happy.
- Try things that seem difficult or “unlike” you.
- Take care of the ones you love.
- Don’t let your emotions get in the way of what’s important.
- Listen to your gut. Explore the things your instincts tell you to.
- Following what you think you “should” do or what’s “safe” will only lead to pain.
- The only limitations are your thinking and your habits. You can change them.
- There is enough time in life. Stop wasting time thinking there isn’t.