A TED Talk A Day, Day, Day 52: Having taught students before, it is sometimes tempting to always communicate to students through yardsticks and evaluation. But in the best moments teaching is really about connection and bringing out the best from students, as Rita Pierson so passionately argues here.
- Teaching and learning is about people and about relationships. We all know why kids have problems in school, but we seldom discuss the important of human connection.
- Kids don’t learn from people they don’t like.
- Some people think that building relationships is innate; but Pierson believes there are things we can do about it.
- “Seek first to understand, then to be understood.” – Stephen Covey.
- Sometimes that means apologising when we’re wrong, even to our students.
- We have to help our students to believe that they can do it, that they can do better, wherever they are.
- The tough kids show up because of the connection, the relationship.
- Teaching is not easy, but it is not impossible.
Suggested action step: